"The Definition of Insanity is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" - Albert Einstein

Monday, July 12, 2010

For Posterity

Short Post. Disclaimer, this is an actual conversation I had. Verbatim Dialogue, because it just happened.

I am sitting outside at Nio's Cafe across from McMillan Student Village (where I am staying) so that I can drink tea while writing a paper for class and enjoying free internet access. I'm about 2 feet away from the street so I have been smiling at people who make eye contact with me as they walk by just so that I can be polite. An African American woman walks by me, smiles and I smile back. She asks me,

"How Are You?"
"I'm fine," I say

She keeps walking and replies, "Do you go to church?"
Confused I say "Excuse me?"

She turns around and walks so that she is right across from me. "Do you go to Church?" she repeats.
"I'm not from around here actually, I'm from the States" I say.

She is relentless. "Do you go to church back home?"
"I'm Jewish actually" I reply.
"Oh, so you go to synagogue back home?" She inquires
"Yes" I say with a smile.

She begins to walk slowly, "Well Jesus is risen from the dead and he loves you. You will find in him your salvation."

She stops a little bit away from me and looks back directly at me. I smile and then continue working on my computer.

Apparently some things remain the same no matter how far away from home you get.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha. i miss you.
    ps she probably wasn't african american if she's british...just saying =P

    also, he is risen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh so hard. AJ would be proud.

    Also, Starkeesha is not risen. :(

    ReplyDelete