"The Definition of Insanity is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" - Albert Einstein

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Only Cure for Writer's Block...

MORE WRITING!!

I'm supposed to be writing poetry right now, but I have a wicked case of writer's block, so I'm hoping a new blog entry will inspire me to poetic genius.

I took a trip to the Wexner Center today, which was really cool. They have a brand new art installation called "Six Solos" featuring six different artists, with very different mediums. We went for my poetry class because we are doing an exercise in Ekphrastic Poetry, which is poetry written inspired by art. Which seems like an awesome idea, and don't get me wrong, I love art and I love looking at art and I would love attempting to be inspired by art if most art didn't just totally confuse me. What was cool was that I wrote down some really amazing words and phrases from our gallery visit to put in a poem, so now I'm just gonna copy the best ones here.

Chrome, Nickel, Pickle, Syrup Bottle, Green Acryllic, Bullet Teeth, Reflections, Trapezoids, Brains, Honeycomb, Mothballs, Floors that Absorb, Night Visions of Sunflowers, Underwater Dragons, Take Me to Barbados, Closeness, Pages from Aristocats and Arthurian Legend, Whispy Rose-Colored Clouds, Vantage Point. Happiness.

I'm probably either going to write the most bizarre and incongruent poem ever, or I'm going to have to chose a different piece of art. More on this story as it unfolds.

On Monday I declared a second major so that I won't end up graduating a year early as was completely unplanned. So now I am officially an English and Film Studies Major with a Minor in Creative Writing. And yes, I know that I'm probably never going to get a job. I'm looking forward to unemployment actually. It just sounds like a lot less work than my life right now.

Somewhere towards the beginning of this school year, I (being the generally unproductive person that I am) decided to waste somewhere between an hour and a half and two hours scrolling through the entirety of the Netflix catalogue of television seasons available on Instant Play in alphabetical order so that I could create a comprehensive list of all the seasons of TV I wanted to watch and then be able to check them off when I'm done. Now you may be reading this and thinking "Jaclyn, aren't you just wasting time writing down shows to watch that will then become even more time wasted when you watch them?"

Anyways, the current list is up at my desk in my dorm room and it includes 19 series (including a few seasons of TV on DVD that I either bought or was lent by my friend Sean who lives down the hall). And I am pleased to announce, that I have officially crossed off my first series: Pushing Daisies. 1 down, 18 to go.

I absolutely recommend Pushing Daisies to anyone who has ever loved anyone or anything in their entire life. I'm pretty sure the only people who couldn't enjoy this fabulous but short-lived show (only two seasons) would have to be heartless scrooges. Also, since watching it, I've had the most ridiculous cravings for pie (central plot point/character). So, if you like television, pie or anyone or anything, I recommend you watch this show. And as an added bonus, the Pie-maker might just be the most adorable male lead in a TV show ever. And Cheno is in it. And she sings. A lot.

Next up on the list is going to be watching Weeds season 5, because then I'll have watched all the seasons currently available. But these are only 22 minute episodes, so it probably won't take me more than a week, maybe two. After that it's a toss up between Bones, Lost or Monk in what I'm calling "The Battle of the One Word Shows for Jaclyn's Immediate Attention." Honestly don't know which one I'm picking, but all bets are off. People interested in the outcome of this scuffle can place bets with their nearest bookie, and for the record, I will be accepting bribes.

Well, that about covers everything exciting in my life. Although I do feel inclined to let everyone who doesn't know there was a bomb threat on OSU's Campus yesterday. I'm fine, everyone I know is fine, and no bombs went off. And as a bonus it did get one of my classes cancelled, but on the other hand, it didn't get my morning class cancelled, so I was unfortunately already awake, and then just not in class. I'd say more about it, but the FBI might monitor my blog, and I don't want to get myself into too much trouble.

I think I'll try to write some ekphrastic poetry now. Best of luck to myself.

2 comments:

  1. I recommend Dead Like Me. It's a fantastic TV series I think you'll like if you're fond of Pushing Daisies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that the word ekrastic existed. so I have spelled it wrong!
    Are you the RA . It is officially Mich week tomorrow. Go Bucks!

    ReplyDelete