"The Definition of Insanity is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" - Albert Einstein

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Working on a Manuscript

This quarter I'm taking my second class in Creative Non Fiction Writing (English 468). This is awesome because it means that I get to write another long personal essay and call it schoolwork, and because it encourages me to sit and think extensively about the minutia that I like to call my life. Our large project for the quarter is to write a "Personal Narrative." Last time I took a CNFW class, I wrote my personal narrative on addictive television watching. This quarter, I think I'm going in the same vein of thought, but with a more literary journalistic spin. So, the theme is (drumroll please) :

Coffee.

It's a good theme because, I'm addicted to it, so if I ever want to publish a book of essays, it will tie in nicely with the television piece. Also, I have a plan. I'm going to make a list of all of the different coffee shops in the Great Columbus area and visit them all. I'm going to go to them and order a drink, and write. This may or may not include someone to go with me, but that is debatable and should only include one person per Coffee shop visit. I want to explore the coffee shop atmosphere, what it means to be addicted to coffee, what it means to hang around in a coffee shop. Interview an employee perhaps (or perhaps not), write about ambiance, write about drinking coffee and writing while wearing a scarf, essentially about everything and nothing.

And Yes, I'm aware this is an overly ambitious project. I'm ok with that.

So, if you have a favorite coffee shop in Columbus, please leave a comment on this post. Assume that I will not visit every coffee shop in the entire city, but that those posts left with the most enthusiasm will probably receive priority.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Zen Cha Count??? And if not then i love the caribou coffee on 23....so not exact in columbus but their mint condition coffee drink thing is AMAZING :)!!!

    ReplyDelete