"The Definition of Insanity is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" - Albert Einstein

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The 30-Day Movie Challenge



Welcome to the inaugural post of my September blog series, the 30-Day Movie Challenge. Each day over the course of the next 30 days I’ll be posting a different movie pick for the series, why I picked it for the category, a review and an overall rating. If you are so inspired, start your own challenge, or respond with your own movie picks in the comments section.

Day 1: Favorite film – Forrest Gump

Picking a favorite film is not an easy task for anyone, let alone we few film studies majors.  It’s much simpler to narrow your field of focus to a few films, or a specific genre or director, but even that can be a challenge. So when picking a favorite film, I honestly believe it’s better to just go with the unquantifiable traits, and really go with what your gut tells you. 

So without a doubt, if I’m gonna choose a favorite film, it has to be Forrest Gump.  It has that thing that Walter Benjamin called aura, that thing that is just special for reasons that can’t be explained.  Anytime Forrest is on TV, I have to stop and watch.  Despite that I’ve seen the film at least 50 times.  I just love it. 

Now just because I can’t explain why I love it so much doesn’t mean I can’t at least name all of the different things that make it great. 

For starters, the story is fantastic.  Not only because everyone loves the story of a man’s life, but Forrest Gump is more than just a single man’s story, it is the story of a generation of baby boomers, which it why it was always be infinitely better than rip offs of Forrest Gump like the dreadful Curious Case of Benjamin Button.  I'm just saying, it has almost no redeeming qualities.  And it is very poorly plotted.  

Then in addition to the script, the acting and the music are the heart of this film.  Hanks will probably be remembered for this role above any other, and if you could earn an Academy Award for compiling the soundtrack to a film, this film would have won it.  Plus the score is pretty great too.  

A special nod to my favorite character of the film, Lieutenant Dan.  Superb acting.  Literally robbed of the Oscar. 


Favorite Quote:

Lt. Dan: Do you know what it's like not to be able to use your legs?
Forrest: ... Yes Sir, I do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment