"The Definition of Insanity is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" - Albert Einstein

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 10 - Favorite Foreign Film

I don't care if people think I'm a hipster for this, but I love foreign films.  They are so different from American films, and are usually better.  I became semi-obsessed with them because of this introduction to World Cinema class I took last spring, and I'm so glad.  This category is a really difficult pick for me because I like so many foreign films, but I think the best one I've ever seen has to be City of God, or Cidade De Deus.

The film tells the horrifying story of the slums controlled by warring drug gangs outside of the famed Rio De Janiero in Brazil.  City of God is shot and edited as if the film were a music video, dazzlingly beautiful, but starkly contrasted to many of the devastations of the characters.  City of God is perhaps the greatest film to ever descend from the Cinemo Novo brazilian tradition: cataloging social poverty among the lowest classes through film meant to alarm the bourgeoise.

This film is definitely worth a watch, but isn't the kind of movie you'd want to rent for a date.

Honorable Mention for Favorite Foreign Film goes to Run, Lola Run, which is like a cinema-length video game, and is totally awesome.  Conceptual in its approach, but still totally brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment