"The Definition of Insanity is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" - Albert Einstein

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 13: Favorite chick flick

For those of you who are wondering why I haven't posted in almost a week, and have been devastated that I might have given up on my project, fear not!  I haven't posted in forever because the apartment I just moved into will not have internet set up in it until the 25th, so I've been unable to update the September movie series.  Be prepared for the posts to be slow until then, for in order for me to post I have to walk my lazy ass to a coffee shop or steal the internet from Ohio State's campus, but never fear, because I WILL finish all 30 movies before October 1st!

Moving Right Along:

I love chick flicks.  I do not love the term chick flicks.  It implies that the movies are exclusively for girls, and not for women, let alone men.

Regardless, Chick Flicks are still one of my favorite genres of film.  There are really good ones, and there are really really bad ones (I'm looking at you Katherine Heigl) but for every dime a dozen movie about a stupid blonde, there is a fabulous chick flick that is empowering to men and women, delightful and entertaining.

That movie is Whip It.

Whip It is the punk rock daughter of every "feel good" chick flick makeover film with an extra splash of bad-ass-ed-ness and some superbly casted and talented actors *Cough* Kristin Wiig *Cough*.

The film is the directorial debut of Drew Barrymore, and if you ask me, it's the third-wave feminist Chick Flick that Women's Studies Professor's have been searching for their whole lives.

Main Themes: Girls Kick Butt, and are Hot.  Girls don't need men to make them happy, and they are frequently better off without dirtbag boyfriends.  And Girls are Awesome.

And if there was any reason to watch any movie, it would be for the kick-ass names of the Roller Derby Girls in the film.  Personal Fave Name? Bloody Holly.  Close second to Jabba the Slut.

My Roller Derby Name is Ace of Skates. Andy's is Weird Al Yank-a-Bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment